Finedon or Thingdon, Northamptonshire
Finedon or Thingdon, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands near the main line of the M.R., 3½ miles NE by N of Wellingborough, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Wellingborough, both of the name of Finedon. Acreage, 3661; population, 3197. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes. Finedon Hall, the seat of the Dolbens, is a fine Elizabethan mansion of stone, standing in the midst of beautiful grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £1200 with residence— The church is Later English in very good condition, and has a tower and spire, and an octagonal font. There are Congregational, Quaker, Wesleyan, and Free Methodist chapels; also endowed schools for boys and girls, and charities amounting to about £50 yearly.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Finedon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wellingborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Cemetery, formed in 1902 at a cost of £2,000, is under the control of the Urban District Council.
The register dates from the year 1539.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with vestry on the north, nave of four bays with clerestory, aisles, transepts, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower, with octagonal spire, rebuilt in 1897, at a cost of £350, relieved by two tiers of spire lights, and containing a clock and 8 bells, two having been added in 1897 at a cost of £160; all the bells were rehung, five recast and the tower repaired in March, 1913, at a cost of £497: the whole church is embattled: the most striking feature of the interior is the singular straining arch between the last piers of the nave eastward, inserted to support the clerestory; it may be described as two reversed flat arches, the lowermost resting on the nave piers; the space between is pierced with quatrefoils, and the concave upper arch finished with battlements: the chancel screen was restored in 1858 and incorporates a small portion of the old screen: the porch has a groined roof with a foliaged boss at the intersection of the groining ribs, and above is a room containing a library of about 1,000 volumes founded in 1788 by Sir John English Dolben bart.: the chancel roof is Perpendicular: the ancient font consists of a cubical basin, with the angles sloped off, and has some mutilated figures on either side: in the south wall of the vestry is a piscina; on the south side of the chancel are four very rich sedilia with groined canopies: there are memorial windows in the chancel to a former vicar; to William Mackworth-Dolben esq. and other members of the Dolben family, erected about 1879, and to Mrs. Harington, sister of the Rev. G. W. Paul M.A. vicar 1848-1911: the church was restored in 1858, at a cost of £1,600, and in 1876 a clock was placed in the tower, at a cost of £155: there are 900 sittings.
The Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1822 and enlarged in 1836 and 1879, was rebuilt in 1903 at a cost of about £600.
Wesleyan Reform chapel
The Wesleyan Reform chapel, built in 1874, has sittings for 200 persons.
Society of Friends
Friends' Meeting House
The Friends' Meeting House, erected in 1690, will seat 150 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Finedon or Thingdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Finedon, or Thingdon (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
Finedon Hall is a noble Elizabethan mansion of native stone, charmingly seated in undulating park-like grounds at the south end of the village; the approach is by a carriage-drive from the high road through an avenue of stately elms, about a quarter of a mile long, terminating at the southern entrance to the mansion: on the western side are ornamental grounds of nearly 10 acres, laid out with great care and admirable taste: the estate also comprises a magnificent triple avenue of limes a quarter of a mile in length, inclosed by an ancient holly hedge; and a petrifying spring: there is also a lofty round tower, and near the mansion is a massive building in the Norman style erected by the late William H. I. Mackworth-Dolben J.P. in commemoration of a son who was lost at sea, September, 1863.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: