Farthingstone, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, 3- miles SSW from Weedon station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5½ SW by S from Daventry. There is a post office-under Weedon; money order and telegraph office, Weedon. Area of parish, 1805 acres; population, 308. A double-ditched camp, of 13 acres, with lofty keep and mount, is on the brow of a hill, was found on excavation to have two-vaulted rooms, one over the other, and bears the name of Castle-Dykes. Another ancient camp, of 7 acres, is within the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £150 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is an ancient building-of local ironstone in the Gothic style. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Farthingstone St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Daventry|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery was formed in 1908 and is under the control of the Parish Council.
The register dates from the year 1538.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of local ironstone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, small north transept, south porch and a western tower with pinnacles containing 5 bells and a clock: it was restored and reseated in 1852; in 1874 a vestry was added on the north side and the chancel restored: the stained east window was presented by Miss Grant, of Litchborough, in memory of her father and brother: on the walls are tablets to the Rev. John Gibson D.D. rector, 1720-30, and provost of Queen's College, Oxford, d. 1 or 5 Sep. 1730; the Rev. Amos Westoby M.A. nearly 30 years rector of this parish, 1843-73, d. 21 April, 1873, and Sophia, his wife, d. 1861, and to Thomas Horn, "citizen and citty bricklayer of London," d. 5 Sept. 1704: there are 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Farthingstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Farthingstone (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Farthingstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: