Farthinghoe, a parish in Northamptonshire, 5½ miles NW from Brackley. It has a station on the Banbury and Bletchley section of the L. & N.W.R., and a post office under Brackley; money order office, Middleton Cheney; telegraph office, Charlton. Acreage, 1525; population, ,308. Farthinghoe Lodge is the seat of the Rush family. The living is in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £363 with residence. The church has an embattled tower, and is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Farthinghoe St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Brackley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of half an acre was formed in 1901, the land being given by the Rev. H. Brand, then rector of the parish; it is controlled by the Parish Council.
The register dates from the year 1560.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is an edifice of stone in the Norman, Transition and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, dating from 1654 and containing a clock and 5 bells, rehung in 1896, at a cost of £65; on the tower is a sun dial: the porch dates from 1324: the stained east window is a memorial to John Stratton and Frances Maria, his wife: in the church is a fine altar tomb, with carved recumbent effigy in marble, by C. Regart, sculptor, of London, to George Bush esq. patron of this living, who died in 1803 in Grosvenor square, London, and was buried here: a carved oak screen, the gift of the Rev. T. Jeffcoat, was erected in 1892: the church was partially restored in 1871 by the Rev. F. Litchfield, then rector of the parish: there are 250 sittings. The vestry was formerly a chauntry chapel with an entrance to the church in front of the Rush monument: for a very long period it was also used as the village school.
Primitive Methodist chapel
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Farthinghoe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Farthinghoe (St. Michael))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Farthinghoe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: