Everdon, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, on a head stream of the river Nen, 3 miles WSW from Weedon station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 SSE from Daventry. The parish includes the tithing of Little Everdon, and the hamlet of Snorscomb. It has a post and money order office under Daventry; telegraph office, Weedon. Acreage, 2557; population, 497. The manor belonged once to Bernay Abbey in Normandy, and was given, in the time of Henry VI., to Eton College. Everdon Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £418 with residence. Patron, Eton College. The church is partly Decorated English. There is a Congregational chapel, which has a small endowment.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Everdon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Daventry|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish registers date from the year 1558, but are missing from 1637 to 1683.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a spacious building of stone in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, north and south porches, and a western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and 5 bells, recently repaired and dating from 1625-35: the beautiful south porch and doorway afford a rich example of the Decorated period: the chancel was partly restored and a new east window inserted about 1860, and is divided from the nave by a fine carved oak screen: there are tablets on the north wall to the Rev. George Rowney Green A.M. fellow of Eton College and 25 years rector of this parish, d. 19 April, 1860; Eleanor, his wife, d. 22 Aug. 1873; and to Charles Phillpotts Green R.N. their youngest son, d. off Rio de Janeiro, 27 March, 1851; also to John Hayes A.M. 17 years rector here, ob. 1806: in the south aisle is a monument with arms to Thomas Spencer esq. ob. 17 Aug. 1576, and Dorothy, his wife, daughter of Sir William Spencer, kt. ob. 14 Sept. 1575, erected by their daughter and co-heiress, Susannah Temple, in 1606: in the same aisle is a modern brass to David Richard St. Paul esq. J.P., D.L. of Everdon Hall, d. 28 Feb. 1886, erected by his three children: in 1891-92 the church was thoroughly restored and reseated with open oak benches, under the superintendence of Messrs. Bodley and Garner, architects, of London, and in 1906 a stained east window was presented by H. Hawkins esq. of Everdon Hall, as a memorial of Queen Victoria, and a new organ was also placed in the church: in 1912 an oak lectern and fald-stool were added: there are 400 sittings.
The Congregational chapel, erected in 1813, is a plain edifice of brick, endowed with the interest on £500, left by Mr. William Folwell.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Everdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Everdon (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
Everdon Hall, a substantial mansion of brick, situated amid beautiful scenery, was built by the late General Doveton.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Everdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: