Etton, an ecclesiastical parish in Northamptonshire, 1 mile from Helpston station on the M.R., and 7½ miles NNW from Peterborough. It contains the hamlet of Woodcroft, and its post town is Market Deeping; money order and telegraph office, Helpston. Population, 132. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £240 with residence. The church is an ancient edifice of stone in mixed styles. Woodcroft Castle is an ancient moated building said to have been erected in the 13th century. For all ecclesiastical purposes, Etton and Helpston are now united by an order in Council into one parish (Etton-cum-Helpston).
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Etton St. Stephen|
|Liberty||soke of Peterborough|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1613.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Stephen (parish church)
The church of St. Stephen is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a small western tower with hexagonal spire containing 3 bells: the spire has been twice struck by lightning, first on Aug. 10th, 1843, and again on Aug. 9th, 1903: the chancel retains a double piscina, sedilia and a low side window, and there is a piscina in the south aisle: there are inscribed floor stones to Samuel Laye, d. 1799, and John Bellars, d. 1798: in 1852 the church was thoroughly repaired, reseated and furnished with new sacramental plate, and in 1893 the chancel and north aisle were thoroughly restored, and the former refloored and fitted with new oak seats: there are 200 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Etton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Etton (St. Stephen))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: