Elkington, a parish in Northamptonshire, on the Union Canal, 3½ miles from Yelvertoft station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 SW of Welford. Post town, Yelvertoft, under Rugby;. money order and telegraph office, Welford. Acreage, 1984',.. population, 67. The church belonged to Daventry Priory, but was long ago demolished, and the inhabitants resort to 'neighbouring churches.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elkington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Elkington)
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Elkington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: