Edgcott or Edgcote, Northamptonshire
Edgcott or Edgcote, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, at the verge of the county, on the river Cher-well, adjacent to the Oxford Canal and the G.W.R., 2½ miles ENE from Cropredy station, and 6 NE by N from Ban-bury. Post town, Banbury; money order and telegraph office, Wardington. Acreage, 1378; population, 61. Edgcott House was the seat of Cromwell, Earl of Essex, and partly built by him; afforded Charles I. a night's lodging before the Battle of Edgehill; and is now the seat of the Cartwright family, who are lords of the manor and sole landowners. Danesmoor in the vicinity was the scene of a battle between the Saxons and the Danes, and also the scene of a conflict in 1469 between the Lancastrians and the Yorkists. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £209 with residence. The church, which is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, has some interesting tombs and monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Edgcot St. James|
|Poor Law union||Brackley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1690.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The church of St. James is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells: in the chancel is a piscina: the stained east window, the gift of Mrs. Julia Frances Cartwright, is a memorial to William Ralph Cartwright esq. of Aynho, d. Jan. 4, 1847: there are others to Mrs. Cartwright, above mentioned, d. November 19, 1856, the Hon. Mrs. Cartwright. d. 20th March, 1885, and to her husband, Richard Aubrey Cartwright esq. of Edgcote House, d. Feb. 5. 1891: in the chancel is a brass inscribed to the Rev. Arden Bayley, 49 years rector of Edgcote, 1827-76, d. 23 Feb. 1876; both north and west doorways retain holy water stoups: the large and old-fashioned manorial pew, with a central table, remains on the north side of the chancel: there are several monuments of alabaster and mural tablets to the Channey family and at the east end of the south aisle are two conjoined altar tombs of alabaster, on the easternmost of which are the recumbent effigies of a partially-armed knight and his lady, c. 1571-85; the sides of the tomb are arcaded and adorned with shields: on the western tomb are the recumbent effigies of a knight in armour and long cyclar, and two ladies, and at the base are figures of their children; these date from 1579: against the north wall is a tablet of white marble, dated 1760, with bust to Richard Chauncy, who built Edgcote House: on the capital of one of the columns of the arcade is a curious carving representing a man's arm holding a skull: there are 100 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edgcott or Edgcote from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Edgcot (St. James))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
Edgcote House is a large mansion of reddish stone, standing in extensive parklike grounds a little to the north-east of the church.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: