East Haddon, Northamptonshire
Haddon, East, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands 1½ mile from Althorp Park station on the L. & N.W.R., and 7½ miles NW from Northampton, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northampton. The parish comprises 2753 acres; population, 486. Haddon Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £175 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and embattled tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Haddon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Brixworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1552.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary, situated nearly in the centre of the village, is an ancient building of stone, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells: the chancel retains a piscina and three stone sedilia: the Norman font consists of a circular basin, rudely carved, with a human figure holding two winged serpents: the organ was presented by the late H. B Sawbridge esq. in 1843: the tower was rebuilt in 1673 and the aisle and porch in 1839: the church was restored in 1877, under the direction of Mr. E. Law, of Northampton, at a cost of £1,800, and has 260 sittings.
There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1811, seating 150 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Haddon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Haddon, East (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Haddon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: