UK Genealogy Archives logo

East Farndon, Northamptonshire

Historical Description

Farndon, East, a parish in Northamptonshire, on the Grand Union Canal, 2 miles SSW from Market Harborough station on the L. & N.W.R. and M.R. Post town, Market Harborough; money order and telegraph office, Market Harborough. Acreage, 1538; population, 244. A mineral well is here called Caldwell Spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £520 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Oxford. The church is an ancient building of stone partly in the Decorated style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthamptonshire 
Ecclesiastical parishEast Farndon St. John the Baptist 
HundredRothwell 
Poor Law unionMarket-Harborough 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1502.

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.


Churches

Church of England

St. John the Baptist (parish church)

The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient edifice of stone, partly in the Decorated style and consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, south aisle, vestry, north porch and an embattled Western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 4 bells, rehung and a fifth added in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee in 1897 of Her Majesty Queen Victoria.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for East Farndon from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of East Farndon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online:

DistrictDaventry
CountyNorthamptonshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtLE16
Post TownMarket Harborough