East Carlton, Northamptonshire
Carlton, East, a parish in Northamptonshire, near the river Welland, 3½ miles SW of Rockingham station on the L. & N.W.R., and 7 E by N of Market-Harborough. Post town, Rockingham, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1573; population of the civil parish, 87; of the ecclesiastical, 92. East Carlton House is a fine country seat of the Palmer family, standing in a well-wooded deer park of about 100 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £251 with residence, in the gift of the Palmer family. The church is modern, and has a tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Carlton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Kettering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1625.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, rebuilt in 1788, is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells: the stained east window is a memorial to Sir John Henry Palmer bart. d. 26 Aug. 1865, and Mary Grace (Thomas), his wife, d. 26 Nov. 1853, and was erected by his family: attached to the church is a mortuary chapel containing several handsome monuments to the Palmer family, dating from 1670: in the floor of the chancel is a stone with the following inscription:- "Heare lieth the body of Mr. John Knight. He was servant to Jeffery Palmer esq. 21 yeares and he departed this life the 9th of December, Anno Dom. 1658."
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Carlton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Carlton, East (St. Peter))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
Carlton Park is a handsome mansion of brick with stone dressings, close to the village in a finely-wooded park of about 100 acres, well stocked with deer.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Carlton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: