Earls Barton, Northamptonshire
Earls Barton, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, 1½ mile N from Castle Ashbyand Earls Barton station on the L. & N.W.R., and 6½ miles ENE from Northampton, It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northampton. Acreage, 2307; population, 2602. Most of the inhabitants are engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes. The living is a discharged vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £300 with residence, The church is an ancient building of stone. The tower is a well-known specimen of Saxon building, and the church contains some interesting Norman work and a good 15th century screen. There are Baptist, Calvinistic Baptist, and Wesleyan chapels. There is a tumulus or barrow in the village, on the N side of the church, from which the parish is said to take its name of Barton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Earl's Barton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Wellingborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1558.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints, situated on high ground, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, with organ chamber and vestry on the north side, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: the east end of the chancel, which retains a piscina and sedilia, is Early English; the western portion of it has a Norman arcade and the inner doorway of the porch is also of this date: the aisles are Decorated; and there is a piscina at the east end of the south aisle: the most remarkable and interesting portion of the church is the reputed Saxon tower, a lofty structure of four stages, without buttresses, but with long and short work at the angles; each face of the tower is ornamented externally with flat vertical strips of stone projecting slightly from the surface; the string course of the lower storey is surmounted by a kind of scolloped arcading and above that of the second storey runs a banding of ribbed work disposed in diamonds: the belfry storey has open windows, each with six balusters: the embattled parapet is of Perpendicular date: the stained east window was presented by E. Thornton esq.; there is also a memorial window to Edward Thornton and his sister Eleanor, another to William Whitworth esq. and one on the south side placed by a former vicar in 1874: in the nave is a brass with effigies to John Muscote, one of the prothonotaries of the Common Pleas, ob. 1512, Alice his wife and 6 children: one evangelistic symbol remains; others, and figures of children, are lost: there are several mural tablets, one of which, to William Farrow, is dated 1735: a fine 15th century screen was replaced at the restoration of the church in 1872, to which the upper part and cross were added in 1892: the whole of the fabric has been restored at intervals since 1871, at a cost of £4,253, of which £1,400 was raised by subscriptions and upwards of £2,700 contributed by the patron, at whose expense the north aisle was restored in 1877.
The Baptist chapel, built in 1874, has 300 sittings.
Calvinistic Baptist chapel
There is a Calvinistic Baptist chapel.
The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1870, will seat 800 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Earls Barton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barton, Earl's (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Earls Barton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: