Dingley, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, on the river Welland, at the boundary with Leicester, 2½ miles E of Market-Harborough, which is the nearest railway station (L. & N.W. and M.R.) Post town, money order, and telegraph office, Market-Harborough. Acreage, 1353; population, 119. Dingley Hall is the seat of Viscount Downe, and occupies the site of a Templars' preceptory founded in the time of Stephen. The land is hilly. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £404. Patron, Viscount Downe. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dingley All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Market-Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1583.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints, founded by Hugh de Dingley, is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel with south aisle or chapel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower, containing a clock and 5 bells: in the chapel are several marble tablets and brasses to the Griffin family; in the north aisle is a memorial to Thomas Peach esq. d. 5th July, 1770, and others to the Hungerford family: the brass lectern was presented in memory of two sons of the late H. H. H. Hungerford esq. of Dingley Park: the church was repaired in 1771, when some remains, supposed to be those of the founder, were discovered; it was restored in 1887, and affords 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dingley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dingley (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
Dingley Hall is a handsome stone mansion, in a well-wooded park of about 120 acres, and is approached through an avenue; the principal front faces the west, and affords splendid views of the surrounding country; the entrance hall is panelled with oak, and contains a gallery.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Dingley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: