Dallington, a parish in Northamptonshire, on a branch of the river Nen, 1½ mile NW of Northampton. It has a post office under Northampton; money order and telegraph office, St James' End. The civil parish includes a portion of St James' End. Acreage, 1528; population of the civil parish, 2233; of the ecclesiastical, 4413. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; value, £358. Patron, Earl Spencer. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles. There are four endowed almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dallington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Northampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of 2 acres was formed in 1878.
The register dates from the year 1577.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with north chapel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and a low embattled western tower containing 6 bells and a clock: the chancel retains a piscina, aumbry and a low-side window, and there is also a piscina in the south aisle: the church was restored and reseated with open oak benches in 1880, from designs by Messrs, E. W. Law and Son, architects, Northampton: in 1883 the chancel was thoroughly restored at the sole expense of the late Earl Spencer K.G. from designs of Mr. Edmund Law, when a new reredos of stone, with figures of the Apostles, was erected, an organ was also introduced at the cost of the late Mrs. H. B. Whitworth, of Dallington Hall, who also presented the church clock in 1887: there are several inscribed floor stones to the Raynsford family, dating from 1679; and including a marble monument to Sir Richard Raynsford kt. Chief Justice of the King's Bench (1676-9), who died here 17 Feb. 1679, and two mural monuments of marble to Joseph Jekyll esq. ob. 1752, and his wife Lady Ann Jekyll, second daughter of George (Montagu) Earl of Halifax; she died in 1766: there are five memorial windows, one to Henry Billington Whitworth esq. d. 20 Sept. 1877, and one erected in 1893 to the Rev. Christopher Cookson B.D. vicar here 1863-74; in 1910 other windows were added, including one erected by Earl Spencer in memory of his wife: there are 230 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dallington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dallington (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Dallington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: