Crick, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands near Watling Street, adjacent to the Union Canal, 2 miles SE from Kilsby station on the L. & N.W.R,, and 6½ ESE of Rugby. It has a post and money order office-under Rugby; telegraph office, Kilyby. Acreage, 3356; population, 629. The surface is traversed by a ridge of hills forming the watershed between the basin of the Avon and the basins of the Ouse and the Nen. A tunnel of the canal through this ridge, in the vicinity of the village, is 1524 yards long. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Patron, St John's College, Oxford. The church is a building of stone in the Late Decorated and Perpendicular styles. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Crick St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1559.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Margaret (parish church)
The church of St. Margaret is a building of stone in the Late Decorated and Perpendicular styles, with some remains of Early English, consisting of chaneel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, south porch, vestry on the north and a western tower with broach spire, relieved by three tiers of lights, and containing 4 bells and a clock; the clerestory is Perpendicular, the south door and some of the piers Early English, but the fabric generally is of the Decorated period: the east window, which displays tracery of very intricate and beautiful design, has been fitted with stained glass as a memorial to the Swainson family: in the chancel are sedilia and a piscina and there are also piscinæ in the aisles: on the floor of the nave are brasses to William Bucknell, ob. 1597; Richard Bagley, ob. 1672; Alice Baglye, ob. 1666; Alice Bucknell, ob. 1615; John Bucknell, ob. 1658; William Bucknell, ob. 1624, and Susannah his wife, ob. 1655: there are 700 sittings.
There is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1662, with 300 sittings.
Primitive Methodist chapel
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Crick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Crick (St. Margaret))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Crick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: