Cransley, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, 3 miles SW of Kettering station on the M.R. The parish includes the hamlet of Little Cransley, and has a post office under Kettering; money order and telegraph office, Broughton. Acreage, 2113; population, 315. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £180 with residence. The church, a building of stone in the Early English style, has a tower and spire, and is good. There is an endowed school with £26 a year. Cransley Hall, the seat of the Rose family, is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cransley St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Kettering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1561.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of 4 bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and spire containing 6 bells and a clock: at the east end of the south aisle is a brass with effigies, inscribed to Edward Dallison and Anne Snagge, 1589; in the same aisle, near the east window, is another brass to Edward Barnwell, lord of two of the manors in this parish, 1602: in the north aisle is a brass with effigies and inscription to Edward Dallyson (son and heir of George Dallyson), ob. 1515, and Elizabeth his wife: the church was restored in 1870 at a cost of £2,500: in 1908 the church was re-floored in concrete, and an organ in an oak case given by Capt. A. H. Thurburn: in 1914 an oak vestry screen, also the gift of Capt. A. H. Thurburn, was added.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cransley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cransley (St. Andrew))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
Cransley Hall is a rectangular mansion of stone, pleasantly situated near the village.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: