Cotterstock, a parish in Northamptonshire, on the river Nen, 2 miles N by E of Oundle, which is the nearest railway station. Post town, Oundle; money order and telegraph office, Oundle. Acreage, 706; population of the civil parish. 181; of the ecclesiastical, 496. Cotterstock Hall belonged to Norton, the friend of Dryden, was the place where that poet wrote his " Fables " and spent the two last summers of his life. Tessellated pavements and other Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Glapthom,in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net yearly value, £87, in the gift of Viscount Melville. The church, an ancient building chiefly in the Early Englisli style, was made collegiate in 1339; has sedilia and a canopied brass; and was restored in 1877 at a cost of £3000.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cotterstock St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Oundle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1631 to 1645 and 1690.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient structure, chiefly in the Early English style, but containing Norman and later portions, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western embattled tower containing 5 bells: the tower has a Norman west doorway; the upper story is Early English and the battlements Perpendicular: the chancel, built in 1415, is 60 feet in length, the nave being only 40 feet; the former retains three stone stalls, a piscina and aumbry, and there are two other piscinæ; the south porch is Perpendicular and is richly groined: there is a good carved oak screen, some ancient glass, and a fine brass, with effigy in cope under a canopy, to Robert Wintringham, canon of Lincoln, prebendary of Ledyngton, and provost of the chantry of Cotterstock, dated 1420: the church was restored in 1877, under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. at a cost of £3,000, when a new vestry was built, the interior refitted and re-floored with tiles and the roof entirely renewed; in the churchyard, at the west end of the church, are two antique stones, on one of which is carved the rude figure of a man with his hands on his bosom, and on the other a cross, and there is also the base of a cross with the inscription: "Johannes Leete et uxor ejus hanc fecerunt fieri crucem."
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cotterstock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cotterstock (St. Andrew))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cotterstock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: