Cold Higham, Northamptonshire
Cold-Higham, a parish in Northamptonshire, 3¼ miles NNW of Towcester station on the L. & N.W.R, and 5 W of Blisworth. It includes the hamlet of Grimscote and part of Fosters-Booth, and its post town is Towcester; money order and telegraph office, Towcester. Acreage, 1730; population, 330. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £300. The church, an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, contains an altar tomb with an effigy in oak of a knight in plate armour and surcoat, representing Sir John de Patteshull, who died in 1350. Ironstone is found.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cold Higham St. Luke|
|Poor Law union||Towcester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1556.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Luke (parish church)
The church of St. Luke is a plain edifice of stone, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle and western saddleback tower containing 5 bells; the four old bells were recast and the fifth added in 1913: in the Potcote chapel is a richly-moulded arch, beneath which stands an altar tomb, delicately panelled and bearing an effigy in oak of a cross-legged knight in plate armour and surcoat, representing Sir John de Patteshull, lord of this manor, ob. 1350; in this chapel are two stained windows, given by Mrs. Charlton and Mrs. Whitton respectively: in the chancel is a memorial window to Mrs. Shoubridge, sister of the rector: the font was given by Mrs. Whitton, of Blakesley: the church was restored in 1881 at a cost of £2,000, defrayed by subscription, £500 being given by the late Duke of Grafton (d. 1882); the western gallery was removed and the tower arch opened to the church, a north aisle and organ chamber erected and the chancel rebuilt: in 1897 a new organ was provided: there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cold Higham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Higham, Cold (St. Luke))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cold Higham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: