Cogenhoe or Cooknoe, Northamptonshire
Cogenhoe or Cooknoe, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, on the river Nene, 1 mile E from Billing station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5¼ miles E of Northampton, with a post office under Northampton; money order and telegraph office, Little Houghton. Acreage, 820; population, 451. Ironstone is found here, and also a fine white sand used in pottery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £270 with residence. The church is a most interesting building of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and there is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cogenhoe St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Hardingstone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1558.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, situated at the north end of the village, is a building of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with north chapel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and 6 bells: both chancel and nave are Early English; the latter was heightened and the clerestory added in the 15th century, and the porch, which retains a stoup, and the tower are Perpendicular work of the same date: on the north side of the chancel are a credence and aumbry, and on the south side a stone bench in lieu of sedilia: the north chapel, which for many years had been demolished, and the arcade between it and the nave and chancel walled up, was rebuilt in 1869 on the ancient foundations, at the cost of the Rev. C. H. Burnham M.A. then rector: the chapel contains an organ, presented in 1871 by Edward Saunders esq. of Cogenhoe: in the church are several slabs to the families of Whalley and Linwood, and at the east end of the aisle is a tomb with the stone effigy of a knight in chain mail, bearing an emblazoned shield, supposed to represent Sir Nicholas de Cogenho or Cugenho, the original founder of the church, who died in 1280; and the arms of this family, with others, appear on the caps of the piers of the arcades: a stained window on the north side commemorates the Rev. Edward Watkin M.A. rector 1812: there is a black-letter Bible in excellent preservation, dated 1617, an altar-cloth of tapestry work of the time of Queen Elizabeth, and a manuscript volume of sermons by Francis Smith, rector here in the middle of the 17th century: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. C. H. Burnham M.A. rector of this parish 1864-1902: the church was restored in 1869, at a cost of £1,300, and has 240 sittings.
The Baptist chapel here, erected in 1910, seats 250 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cogenhoe or Cooknoe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cogenhoe, or Cucknoe (St. Peter))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: