UK Genealogy Archives logo

Clipston, Northamptonshire

Historical Description

Clipston, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands 1½ mile W of a station of its own name on the L. & N.W.R., and 4¼ miles SSW of Market-Har-borough, and has a post and money order office under Northampton; telegraph office, Kelmarsh. The parish comprises 1942 acres; population, 591. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value from 510 acres of land, £43 with residence. Patron, Christ's College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style. There are a Baptist chapel, an endowed free school, and some almshouses.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthamptonshire 
Ecclesiastical parishClipston All Saints 
HundredRothwell 
Poor Law unionMarket-Harborough 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1667.

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.


Churches

Church of England

All Saints (parish church)

The church of All Saints is an ancient edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower, with broach spire, containing a clock and 5 bells; the chancel was restored in 1884, and in 1885-6 the whole building was restored and refitted at a cost of £4,900: there are sittings for 300 persons.

Baptist

Baptist chapel

There is a Baptist chapel here, founded in 1778, having sittings for 520 persons.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Clipston from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Clipston are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online:

DistrictDaventry
CountyNorthamptonshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtLE16
Post TownMarket Harborough