Chelveston cum Caldecot, Northamptonshire
Chelveston-cum-Caldecot, a parish in Northamptonshire, near the river Nen and the L. & N.W.R., 3 miles W of Higham-Ferrers station, and 6½ S of Thrapston. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Higham-Ferrers. Acreage, 1806; population, 401. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Higham-Ferrers, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net yearly value, £235. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Norman and Early English styles. There are almshouses and an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chelveston St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Thrapston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register, including Caldecott, dates from the year 1723.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist, situated in a field quite away from the village, is an edifice ef stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower at the north-east angle containing 5 bells and a clock, erected in 1867 at a cost of £86: the exterior of the tower, the walls of which are five and a half feet thick, exhibits traces of Norman work: the pulpit and desks are richly carved and in the south wall, close to the pulpit, is a piscina: an interesting Early English window, discovered in the chancel, was restored by the late Mrs. Jane Harriet Wise: the church was restored about 1850.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chelveston cum Caldecot from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chelveston (St. John the Baptist))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: