Brixworth, a village, a parish, and the head of a union in Northamptonshire. The village stands adjacent to the Northampton and Market-Harborough branch of the L. & N.W.R., 7 miles N of Northampton, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northampton. It was formerly a market-town under the Fitz-Simons. Here are a workhouse, built at a cost of £5800, and the kennels of the Pitchley hounds. The parish comprises 3147 acres; population, 1108. Brixworth Hall, an ancient quadrangular mansion of stone, belonged formerly to the Nicholses, and passed to the Woods. It now belongs to the Bevan family. Some of the inhabitants are lace-makers, and some quarriers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church shows fine features of very early Saxon and Norman, with additions of later character, has a curious staircase leading to the tower, is supposed to have been built on the foundations of a Roman basilica, and was restored in 1865. Roman bricks enter very largely into the composition of many of the arches. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowment of £62 used for educational purposes, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brixworth All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Brixworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of burials dates from the year 1546; baptisms, 1562; marriages, 1565.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints, supposed to have been originally erected about the year 680 to 690, is an edifice of stone and Roman bricks, presumed to be of Saxon construction, with additions in later styles, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, south chapel of Early English character and a western tower with pinnacles and spire containing 5 bells, dated 1622 and 1689, which during 1900-5 were quarter-turned, tuned and rehung in new frames at a cost of £177: on the western side of the tower is a circular turret containing a staircase of Saxon work of a later date than the rest of the building: the clock was placed in 1897, at a cost of £80, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Victoria: during the restoration in 1866 the bases of circular columns were met with in the area of the tower, and are believed to have formed part of the Roman building which once stood here, the materials of which appear to have been largely used in the construction of the existing church: a small reliquary of stone, enclosing a wooden box, containing human remains, was discovered about 1809 in the wall of the south aisle: in 1884 some mediæval masonry, including the base of a stone cross, was found in the south-east part of the churchyard, and in 1897 the base of a Saxon cross, bearing a Scandinavian legend; during the period 1900-9 the nave roof, south chapel, tower, spire and turret were repaired at a cost of £1,462: there are 470 sittings.
The Wesleyan Methodist chapel here was erected in 1811, and enlarged in 1860.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brixworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Brixworth (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Brixworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online:
Brixworth was the head of a Poor Law Union, which in 1911 comprised the following places :-Althorp, Boughton, Brington, Brixworth, Chapel Brampton, Church Brampton, Cold Ashby, Coton, Cottesbrooke, Draugbton, East Haddon, Paxton, Great Creaton, Guilsborough, Hanging Houghton, Hannington, Harlestone, Haselbeech, Holcot, Holdenby, Hollowell, Lamport, Maidwell, Mawsley, Moulton, Moulton Park, Naseby, Old or Wold, Overstone, Pitsford, Ravensthorpe, Scaldwell, Spratton, Teeton, Thornby & Walgrave. The population of the union in 1911 was 11,833; area, 63,647 acres; rateable value in 1914, £109,350
The Workhouse was a stone building erected in 1836, to hold 256 inmates.