Egloshayle, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands on the river Camel, three-quarters of a mile SE of Wadebridge station on the G.W.R., and 7 miles NW of Bodmin. The parish comprises 5682 acres; population., 1368. Post town, and money order and telegraph office, Wadebridge. Pencarrow has remains of a castle and an ancient camp. It belongs to the Ford-Molesworth family. Park belonged to the Peverells. Ancient barrows occur at Kelly Rounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £298 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church has a tower and a curious stone pulpit, and is good. There are Wesleyan and United Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bodmin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Egloshayle from the following:
Online maps of Egloshayle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.