Brafield, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The parish is called also Brafield-on-the-Green, and lies 1½ mile S by E of Billing Road station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 miles E by S of Northampton, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Little Houghton. Acreage, 1282; population of the civil parish, 496; of the ecclesiastical, including Little Houghton, 1000. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Little Houghton, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net yearly value, £330. The church, which is a building of stone in the Decorated style, was restored in 1858. There are Baptist and Wesleyan Reform chapels.
The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1540; marriages, 1653.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Lawrence (parish church)
The church of St. Lawrence is an edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: it was restored about 1858, when the chancel and north aisle were rebuilt: in 1892 a handsome oak screen was presented in memory of the Rev. Francis William Lamb M.A. curate in charge here, and has been erected so as to form a vestry: the porch was erected in memory of the Rev. C. Smyth: there are 200 sittings.
There is a Baptist chapel.
There is a Wesleyan chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: