Boughton, a parish in Northamptonshire, on an affluent of the river Nen, and on the Northampton and Market-Harborough branch of the L. & N.W.R., 1½ mile SE of Brampton station, and 3 miles N of Northampton. A large fair is held here on 24, 25, and 26 June, and it has a post and money order office under Northampton; telegraph office, Moulton. Acreage, 1466; population, 293. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £230 with residence. The church, with the exception of the tower,. is modern, and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a charity of 48 acres. Boughton Hall is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Boughton St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Brixworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms dates from the year 1549; marriages, 1559; burials, 1560.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The ancient church of St. John the Baptist, an edifice of stone, of the Decorated period, has now been for some centuries in ruins and stands in the churchyard by the green, distant about half a mile from the village: the tower and spire fell about 1785: the existing parish church, formerly a chapel, or chantry, and situated in the village, is an edifice of mixed styles, consisting of nave, with vestry, and a low western tower containing 5 bells: the tower, of Late and poor Perpendicular work, is the only part of the original building remaining, and was repaired in 1599: the rest of the church was rebuilt and lengthened 1806, enlarged, refitted and a vestry added in 1847, and restored in 1894, under the direction of Mr. Holden, architect, of Northampton, at a cost of about £1,500: the organ and stained east window were given by the Rev. G. S. Howard-Vyse M.A., rector 1843-96; there are 250 sittings.
There is a Wesleyan chapel here.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Boughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Boughton (St. John the Baptist))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
Boughton Park was built about 1844 by Lieut.-Gen. R. W. H. Howard-Vyse, of Stoke Place, Bucks (d. 1853).
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Boughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: