Blisworth, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands on the Grand Junction Canal, 1 mile SSW of the L. & N.W.R., at the junction of the line to Northampton and Peterborough, and 4 SSW of Northampton; and it has a station of its own name at the railway junction, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The parish comprises 1964 acres; population, 930. The Blisworth tunnel on the canal, SSE of the village, is 1½ mile long. The Blisworth cutting on the railway goes through hard blue limestone; is 2 miles long, with a mean depth of 50 feet; and though not the largest work of its kind on the line, was the most difficult. Building-stone is quarried, and some iron ore is found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £160 with residence. The church is ancient, and of mixed architectural character, has a brass of 1503, and was restored in 1856, and further improved in 1889. There are two handsome stained glass windows in the chancel. There is also a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Blisworth St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Towcester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1551.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is a spacious edifice of stone, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: there are memorial windows to a son of the Rev. William Barry M.A. a former rector, and to G. Stone esq. and his wife, erected by their family: in the south aisle is an altar tomb with brass effigies and marginal inscription to Roger Wake esq. lord of the manor, 1403, and Elizabeth (Catesby), his wife, with 10 children: the chancel is separated from the nave by an oak screen: in 1889 an organ was erected and a memorial window to the Rev. William Barry M.A. rector 1839-84, placed in the chancel: the church was restored in 1856, at a cost of £870, when the gallery was removed and the pews converted into open benches, and there are now 400 sittings: a new burial ground of half an acre was inclosed and consecrated in 1863.
The Baptist chapel here was erected in 1825, and in 1865 vestries, a residence for the minister, and a graveyard were added; school rooms were built in 1871, at a cost of £1,350; the organ, erected in 1891, at a cost of £260, was the gift of the late Joseph Westley esq.; attached to the chapel is a lecture hall, built in 1885, and seating 300 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blisworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Blisworth (St. John the Baptist))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Blisworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: