Barnack, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village has a station on the G.N.R., is 1½ mile from Uffing-ton station on the M.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stamford. By a Local Government Order of 1887 the hamlet of Pilsgate was amalgamated with Barnack for rating purposes, and the parish includes the hamlet of Southorpe. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 766. Formerly there were extensive quarries of rag-stone here, and the stone was furnished hence for Peterborough and Ely cathedrals, and for several other churches, but it is now thought to be exhausted. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £700 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The churcli is in very good condition. The tower is Saxon, the rest of the architecture illustrates each phase of Gothic. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and a charity estate yielding annually £81. Part of Burghley House and Park is situated in this parish. Walcot Hall, whose construction is attributed to Inigo Jones, now the residence of the Dearden family, was formerly a residence of the Earls of Gainsborough.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barnack St. John the Baptist|
|Liberty||soke of Peterborough|
|Poor Law union||Stamford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of half an acre was formed in 1903 at a cost of £325.
The register, including Pilsgate, Southorpe and Walcot, dates from the year 1696 for baptisms and marriages, burials 1695.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Norman, Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel with side chapels, nave, aisles, south porch, and a western tower with short spire containing a clock and 5 bells: the lower part of the tower is of Saxon work, built, as it were, to imitate wood-work, with projecting ribs on the outside and other remarkable peculiarities: the arch opening from the tower into the nave has singular horizontal imposts, apparently intended to imitate Roman work: the nave is of a mixed character, some of the piers being Norman and others Early English: the south porch is Early English with a singularly acute gable and a fine and lofty doorway: the interior is groined and arcaded: the chancel is Decorated, and the south chapel fine Perpendicular: the east window has crocketed canopies over the heads of the lights; and there is a very curious Early English font, some beautiful mural niches and a piscina: there are nine stained windows, five of which and a mosaic reredos, were presented by the Very Rev. Marsham Argles, dean of Peterborough, and rector, 1851-91; to whose memory a brass was placed in the church in Jan. 1805: there are 350 sittings.
There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barnack from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barnack (St. John the Baptist))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
Walcot Hall is an ancient building, and was formerly the seat of the Earls of Gainsborough.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: