Barby, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands near the Oxford Canal, 1½ mile from Kilsby station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4½ miles SE of Rugby; it has a post office under Rugby, Kilsby being the money order and telegraph office. The parish is called also Barby-with-Onley. Acreage, 3469; population, 502. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £547 with residence. The church is ancient, the earliest portions dating from the 12th century. There is also a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barby St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1535.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a plain building of stone in various styles, the earliest portion dating from the 12th century, and consisting of chancel with south chapel, nave of four bays, aisles, porches and a western tower containing a clock, erected in 1847, and 4 bells: in 1913 a stained window was placed in the west side of the church by Mr. William Howard to the memory of his family; under the tower are tablets to the Rev. Knightley Holled D.D. d. Dec. 22nd, 1794, and Mary, his wife, d. Nov. 1st, 1767; and to the Rev. Knightley Holled, father of the above, d. Dec. 2nd, 1756, and his wife and several of their children; on the west wall are tablets to the Rev. Charles Williams M.A. 36 years rector here, d. Aug. 26th, 1850, and Mary Jane, his wife, d. Nov. 5th, 1854; the Rev. Earle Gillbee D.D. 18 years rector here, d. Oct. 3rd, 1813; Ann, his wife, d. Sept. 28th, 1819, and two of their children; and to Jeffery Colledge, d. 1748: there are seven stained windows: the church was refloored and repewed in 1811, and in 1900 was restored at a cost of over £4,000.
The Congregational chapel is a plain building of red brick, erected in 1855, and has 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barby (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Barby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: