Bainton, or Badington, Northamptonshire
Bainton, or Badington, a parish in Northamptonshire, near the river Welland, ½ mile from Barnack station on the G.N.R., and 4 miles E by S of Stanford, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Barnack. The hamlet of Ashton, formerly in Ufford parish, was civilly joined to Bainton in 1887. Acreage, 1739; population, 263. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Ufford, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is Early English. Bainton House is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bainton St. Mary|
|Liberty||soke of Peterborough|
|Poor Law union||Stamford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1713.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western tower with spire containing a clock and 4 bells: the church was restored in 1879 at a cost of about £1,200, chiefly defrayed by William Earle Welby esq. J.P. of Bainton House: a new organ was erected in 1911, at a cost of about £140: there are sittings for 200 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bainton, or Badington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bainton (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: