Badby, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands on the ascent of a hill called Badby Down, near the source of the river Nen, 2½ miles SSW of Daventry, and 4½ W of Weedon station on the L. and N.W.R. It has a post office under Daventry, the money order and telegraph office. The parish comprises 1765 acres; population of the civil parish, 519; of the ecclesiastical district of Badby with Newnham, 910. An ancient camp, 10 acres in area, with wide deep fosse and very steep ramparts, occurs on Arbury Hill, and is supposed to be Roman. The living is a vicarage, united with the parish of Newnham, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint gross yearly value, £236 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is a fine old structure of stone in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Badby St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Daventry|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1559.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a building of stone, partly in the Perpendicular style, with some earlier portions, and consists of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 5 bells and a clock; the tower was rebuilt in 1709, the former steeple having been burnt previously; the bells were rehung in 1911: there is a memorial window at the east end of the south aisle, erected by his brother officers, to the late Major C. B. Uniacke, and Dragoons (Scots Greys): on the south side of the chancel are memorial tablets to the Rev. Thomas Green M.A. 55 years vicar of this parish, who died July 14th, 1871, aged 83; Mary Ann, his wife, and their grandson; opposite is another tablet to John Francis, their youngest son, d, Aug. 27th, 1834: underneath is a brass to Thomas Green B.A. barrister-at-law, d. May 24th, 1874: in the north aisle is a piscina formed in the easternmost pillar of the arcade, and the chancel retains two sedilia and a piscina. The church was thoroughly restored in 1881, at a total cost of £1,300, towards which the Watkin family, of Badby House, contributed £1,000; the stained west window was inserted in 1888 to the memory of Major John Francis Green, 5th Dragoon Guards, d. Dec. 20th, 1887: there are about 200 sittings.
The Congregational chapel is a neat building of red brick, erected in 1873 at a cost of £650, entirely defrayed by the late Mr. Briggs, of Daventry, and has 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Badby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Badby (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Badby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: