Alderton, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire, near Watling Street, the Tove river, and the Grand Junction Canal, 3½ miles W of Roade station on the L. & N.W.R., and 3½ SE of Towcester, which is the post town and the telegraph office; money order office, Paulerspury. Acreage, 882; population, 123. Lace-making is carried on. The living is a rectory, annexed to Grafton-Eegis, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint gross yearly value, £262 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The church is modern, and in the Perpendicular English style. The Duke of Grafton is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alderton St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Potterspury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1597.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. Margaret (parish church)
The church of St. Margaret, rebuilt, with the exception at the tower, in 1848, is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled western tower containing 5 bells: on the north wall of the chancel is a small brass with inscription in Latin to Thomas Hasilrige, 1655; the east window is stained, and there is a memorial window on the south side to the Rev. Barwick John Sams M.A. rector 1837-85, presented by his daughter in 1886: there are 160 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alderton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Alderton (St. Margaret))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Alderton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: