Adstone, formerly a chapelry in Ashby-Canons parish, but which was made a separate parish for all purposes in 1865, in Northamptonshire, 1½ mile E from Moreton Pinkney station on the East and West Junction railway, and 6¾ WNW from Towcester, which is the post town and money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1430; population, 138. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, about £90 with residence. Patrons, the Sons of Clergy Corporation. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Canons Ashby|
|Poor Law union||Towcester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Up to the year 1868 the burial ground for this village was at Canons Ashby, but in 1867 the Governors of the Corporation of the Sons of the Clergy gave a piece of land adjoining the church for a burial ground, and Sir Henry Edward Leigh Dryden bart. of Canons Ashby (d. 1899), defrayed the expenses of levelling, fencing and consecrating the same; the first interment took place early in January, 1868.
The register of baptisms dates from the year 1671; burials, 1679; and marriages, 1704 to 1782; from which date until 1855 marriages were solemnized at Canons Ashby.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a building of stone, partly in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, south aisle, western porch, and a small western turret containing one bell: the church was new roofed in 1883 and reseated in 1896, and will seat 130 persons.
There is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1849.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Adstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Adstone)
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Adstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: