Davidstow (popularly Dewstow), a parish in Cornwall, 4 miles NE by N of Camelford, and 12 W by N of Launces-ton station on the L. & S.W.R. and G.W.R. Post town, Camelford. Acreage, 6853; population, 393. The surface is very bleak, and a great moor of it extends to Bowtor and Brown Willy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £183. Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is interesting. There are Bible Christian and Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Davidstow St. David|
|Poor Law union||Camelford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Davidstow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Davidstow (St. David))
Online maps of Davidstow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.