Wylam, a township, with a village, in Ovingham parish, Northumberland, on the river Tyne, with a station on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 8½ miles W of Newcastle. There is also a station at North Wylam, on a branch of the N.E.R. It lies mainly on the N side of the river, partly on the S side, and has a bridge over the river, which was widened and Improved in 1894, a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.), a church, a Wesleyan chapel, and a reading institute and school. Acreage, 931 of land and 43 of water; population, 1003. There is a parish council of eight members. The living is a chaplaincy. The church, built in 1886, is in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and embattled tower containing a clock and six bells. An institute was erected in 1895-96 at a cost of £2000. George Stephenson, the famous engineer, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wylam from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wylam)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Wylam are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: