Woodhorn, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies on the coast, 1 mile from Newbiggin station on the N.E.R., and 8 miles ENE of Morpeth. Acreage, 1485 of land and 31 of foreshore; population, 147; of the ecclesiastical parish, 3809. The parish includes Newbiggin (which has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Morpeth), North Seaton, Cresswell, Hurst, Linmouth, Ellington, and Woodhorn Demesne townships. There are quarries and an extensive colliery. The living is a vicarage, with Newbiggin annexed, in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value, £283 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church was partially rebuilt in 1843, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and western tower; it contains several memorial windows and an ancient Celtic cross. A chapel of ease is at Newbiggin. There are a chapel of ease, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, and a mechanics' institute at North Seaton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Woodhorn St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woodhorn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Woodhorn (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Woodhorn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: