Wingates, a village and a township in Long Horsley parish, Northumberland, 9 miles NNW of Morpeth, and 3 from Ewesley station on the North British railway. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Morpeth. Acreage, 2617; population, 94. A medicinal spring here had repute toward the end of the 18th century, and was restored in 1864.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Long Horsley|
|Poor Law union||Rothbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wingates from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Wingates are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: