Willington, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Wallsend parish, Northumberland, on the river Tyne, and on the Newcastle and Tynemouth railway, near Howdon railway station, and 3 miles WSW of North Shields. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Willington Quay (R.S.O.) The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1859. Population, 2073. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value, £237 with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church, erected in 1867, is in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and western bell-turret. There are Presbyterian, Reformed Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tynemouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Willington from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Willington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: