Whittingham, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies 8 miles W by S of Alnwick, with a station on the N.E.R., a good inn, and a post and money order office under Glanton (R.S.O.); telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage, 6216; population, 481. A vaulted peel tower of the 14th century is here, and has been converted into almshouses. The parish contains other townships. The Earl of Ravensworth is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value, £446 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was much altered in 1842, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, and western tower. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whittingham St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Rothbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whittingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whittingham (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Whittingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: