Whitley (Tynemouth), Northumberland
Whitley, a township in Cullercoates chapelry, Tynemonth parish, Northumberland, on the coast, with a station on the Blyth and Tyne railway, 2½ miles N of North Shields. It contains a neat village of its own name, a handsome seaside terrace, has excellent sands, and is a popular bathing-place; has also the reservoirs of the North Shields waterworks, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Acreage, 534 of land and 139 of water and foreshore; population, 2444. The manor belonged to Tynemouth Priory. Coal, ironstone, and limestone are worked. There are Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels, a convalescent home, and the Northumberland Village Homes for girls opened in 1880, and added to in 1884 and 1888, a free library, and a church hall erected in 1895.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tynemouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whitley (Tynemouth) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whitley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: