Whalton, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland, 2 miles SE of S of Meldon station on the North British railway, and 6 W by S of Morpeth, with a post and money order office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne; telegraph office, Belsay. Acreage of township, 2126; population, 361; of the ecclesiastical parish, 498. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The parish comprises the townships of Newham, Ogle, and Riplington. There are traces of a Roman camp, and slight remains of Ogle Castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; gross value, £642 with residence. The church was restored in 1876, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and an embattled western tower. There are reading-rooms and a library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whalton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whalton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Whalton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: