Eastcotts, a township in Cardington parish, Beds. It comprises the hamlets of Cotton End, Harrowden, and Fenlake, which are respectively 3 miles, 1½ mile, and 1 mile SE from Bedford. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Bedford. Area, 2816 acres; population, 830. Pillow lace is made.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Eastcotts was in Bedford Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eastcotts from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Eastcotts)
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Eastcotts are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Eastcots was in Bedford Poor Law Union. For further detailed history of the Bedford Union see Peter Higginbotham's excellent resource: Bedford Poor Law Union and Workhouse.
Villages, Hamlets, &cCotton End