UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Crowan, Cornwall

Historical Description

Crowan, a parish in Cornwall. The village of Praze stands 1 mile from the station on the G.W.R., and 6 miles NNW of Helston. It has a post office under Camborne; money order and telegraph office, Praze. The parish comprises 7496 acres; population, 2468. The manor has belonged since the time of Richard II. to the family of St Aubyn. Granite, slate, and copper ore occur. Crowan Beacon is 850 feet high, and commands a fine view. A quondam logan-stone, thrown off its balance by some of Cromwell's soldiers, lies half a mile south of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £268 with residence. The church has a tower with a good peal of six bells, contains monuments of the St Aubyns, and was restored in 1872 and completed in 1892. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. There are very large water reservoirs here. Clowance is the chief residence.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCornwall 
Ecclesiastical parishCrowan St. Crewenne 
Poor Law unionHelston 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church of England

St. Crewenna (parish church)

The church of St. Crewenna, restored and re-pewed in 1872 at a cost of upwards of £2,000 (exclusive of the chancel, restored by the Rev. St. Aubyn H. Molesworth-St. Aubyn, 12th. bart. (d. 1913), a former patron of the living), is a building of granite, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled western tower, 70 feet high, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells, rehung in 1896 at a cost of nearly £100: the north aisle contains several monuments to the St. Aubyn family, and also the ancient brasses of the St. Aubyns (1400-1599), of which engravings are given in Polwhele's "History of Cornwall;" these were in 1893 bedded in slate and replaced in the aisle; the existing memorials range from 1629 to 1839: at the west end of the north aisle is a window to Henry Jenkin, of Kerthen, 1860: the stained window at the east end of the north aisle was given by Mrs. H. J. Molesworth-St. Aubyn in memory of her husband; another at the end of the south aisle is a memorial to the wife of George Hickman Johns esq. of the India civil service and son of the Rev, J. W. Johns M.A. vicar 1842-89, who died at Poonah, India, in 1876, and J. Tremenheere Johns, his brother, who was drowned at Oxford in 1855: in 1907 a stained window was placed in the eastern chancel to the m emory of Sir John St. Aubyn, d. 1744: on the exterior east wall is a memorial to Richard Tregeare, with a quaint inscription, 1668: in 1892 a vestry and organ chamber were built by the patron of the living, an organ erected by Mrs. Molesworth-St. Aubyn, in memory of her father and mother, and a south porch built as a memorial to the Rev. John White Johns M.A.: there are sittings for about 400 persons.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Crowan from the following:


Online maps of Crowan are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:

Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

RegionSouth West
Postal districtTR14
Post TownCamborne