Warkworth, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The village stands on the river Coquet, 1 mile from the river's mouth, and 7 miles SE by S of Alnwick, with a station on the N.E.R, It is a borough by prescription, governed by a boroughreeve, gives The title of Baron to the Duke of Northumberland, mainly consists of one street, has some good houses, is much resorted to during the summer, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office, a bank, an old two-arched bridge, at the S end an ancient roofless tower, an old market-cross, now defaced by being made a gas-light, an ancient castle, a church, a Presbyterian chapel with manse erected in 1877, and a bar-harbour with a light on the south pier and one on the north. There are golf links and a salmon fishery. The castle was built in the 12th century by a Fitz-Richard, but then left unfinished, underwent in course of time many changes of form and proprietorship, was greatly enlarged in 1400-7 and in 1435-40 by the Percys, sustained a siege in 1405 by Henry IV., figures in Shakespeare's drama of Henry IV., was partly restored in 1856, occupies a triangular area of considerable extent, and presents a noble appearance of lofty walls, towers, turrets, and great keep, but is mainly ruinous. The church, dedicated to St Lawrence, is ancient, chiefly in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, and was restored in 1860; it consists of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and a western tower with lofty octagonal spire. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Durham, stood near the church, and was founded about 1256 by Bishop Barnham. An ancient hermitage, " deep hewn within a craggy cliff," is on the river's banks about half a mile above the castle; appears to be of the time of Edward II., and is an almost unique relic of its kind; measures 18 feet by 7, exclusive of a sacristy 13 feet by 5; and is celebrated in Bishop Percy's well-known ballad of the "Hermit of Warkworth." The township comprises 1098 acres of land and 86 of water and foreshore; population, 666. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. The ecclesiastical parish comprises the townships of Birling, Brotherwich, High Buston, Low Buston, Morwick, Sturton Grange, and Walkmill. Population, 1122. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; gross value, £429 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The vicarages of Amble, Acklington, and Chevington were formerly included in Warkworth.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Warkworth St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Warkworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Warkworth (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Warkworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: