Wark or Werk, Northumberland
Wark or Werk, a village in Carham parish, Northumberland, on the river Tweed, half a mile from Sunilaws station on the Tweedmouth and Kelso railway, and 2½ miles W by S of Cornhill. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Coldstream. There is a ferry across the Tweed. The manor belonged to the De Roses, passed to the Greys, and belongs now to the Earl of Tankerville. Wark Castle sustained eleven sieges by the Scots, was seven times taken, is alleged to have originated the noble order of the Garter at a ball given by Edward III., and is now represented by only ramparts and outworks.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Glendale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wark or Werk from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wark)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: