Warden, a parish in Northumberland, at the confluence of the rivers North Tyne and South Tyne, and near Fourstones railway station, 3½ miles WNW of Hexham. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Hexham. The parish comprises the hamlets of Fourstones and Walwick. Acreage, 3281; population of the civil parish, 910; of the ecclesiastical, 1661. Lime and coal are worked, and there is a paper mill. A circular camp is at High Warden, and a petrifying well is near the North Tyne. The living is a vicarage, united with Newbrough, in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value, £153 with residence. The church is partly Early English, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, porch, and an Early Norman tower. It was restored in 1869, and in 1889 was repaired and the chancel rebuilt. There is a small Primitive Methodist chapel, and at Fourstones is a mission chapel built in 1892.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Warden St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Warden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Warden (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Warden are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: