Walltown, a township in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland, on the Roman Wall, 2 miles NNW of Haltwhistle station on the N.E.R. Post town, Greenhead; money order and telegraph office, Haltwhistle. Acreage, 2982; population, 59. It contains the Roman station Esica, now called Great Chesters, and also the residence of Bishop Ridley's brother, now a farmhouse. There are quarries.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Walltown are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: