UK Genealogy Archives logo

Wall, Northumberland

Historical Description

Wall, a township in St John Lee parish, Northumberland, with a station on a branch of the North British railway, near the Roman Wall, 3 miles N by W of Hexham. It has a post office (R.S.O.); money order office, Humshaugh; telegraph office, at the railway station. Acreage, 1699; population, 422. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Poor Law unionHexham 
WardTindale 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wall from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Wall are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE46
Post TownHexham