Walker, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Northumberland. The township stands on the river Tyne, near the Newcastle and Tynemouth railway, 3 miles E of Newcastle. It carries on iron-founding, shipbuilding, copperas and chemical manufactures, and the shipment of coals, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.), two stations on the N.E.R., a church, Wesleyan, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels, a meeting-room for Plymouth Brethren, a mechanics' institute, a public park, an infirmary, and an hospital for infectious diseases, built in 1887-88. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1846. Population, 11,341. The living is a vicarage ia the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; gross value, £290 with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Long Benton|
|Poor Law union||Tynemouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Walker from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Walker)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Walker are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: