Ulgham, a united township and an ecclesiastical parish in Northumberland, 1½ mile S of Widdrington railway station, and 5 miles NNE of Morpeth. There is a post office under Morpeth; money order and telegraph office, Longhirst. Acreage of the township, 3742; population, 695. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Joicey. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted ia 1875. There is a small colliery at the villages of Stobswood and Ulgham Grange, but the latter is not worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value, £226 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Carlisle. The church is in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle and vestry, S porch, and a western turret.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ulgham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ulgham)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Ulgham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: