Tweedmouth, a village, a township, and a parish in the borough of Berwick-on-Tweed, Northumberland. The village stands on the N.E.R., at the junction of the branch to Kelso, 1 mile S of Berwick. It is part of the borough of Berwick, and a suburb to that town, with which it is connected by a stone bridge of fifteen arches. It has iron-foundries, steam saw-mills, boiler and engine works, a large brewery, and boatbuilding and salmon fish-curing are carried. on. It has a post and money order office (T.S.O.) under Berwick, a railway station with telegraph office, a church, two Presbyterian chapels, a cemetery of about 9 acres with two mortuary chapels. The place gives the title of Baron to the Marjoribanks family. The township comprises 1140 acres of land, and 199 of water and foreshore; population, 4845; of the ecclesiastical parish, 3326. The parish contains also. Spittal township. The main line of the N.E.R. is carried over the Tweed by a colossal viaduct 2160 feet long of 28. arches, each 61½ feet in span and 129 above the river. The bridge was formally opened by Queen Victoria in 1850, and is called the Royal Border Bridge. Docks were completed in 1877 at a cost of £25,000, afford accommodation) for sixteen large vessels, and are connected by a line of rail with the N.E.R. system. The manor belongs to the Corporation of Berwick. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; gross value, £440 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, N transept, and embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tweedmouth St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Berwick-upon-Tweed|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tweedmouth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tweedmouth (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Tweedmouth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: