Tughall, a township in Bamburgh parish, Northumberland, 9 miles N by E of Alnwick, and 2 from Chathill station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Chathill (R.S.O.) Acreage, 1529 of land and 70 of water and foreshore; population, 88. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor. Ruins are here of a church which was connected with Lindisfarne priory.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Belford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tughall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tuggal, or Tughall)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Tughall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: